Why don't we Christians or pastors submit to a government? What is your biblical standpoint? Say our Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.

poll: I Submit or Not?
Cherrie Jen Magno Pat
September 20, 2018
I Submit or Not?
Cherrie Jen Magno Pat

Considering Romans 13.

Be the first person to like this
Michael Long

It definitly deppends on if the Givernment is asking us to do sopething that is against our faith.

Be the first person to like this
Cherrie Jen Magno Pat

exactly Mike, but Christian faith sometimes depends on our personal biases, personal theological standpoint, which one is against and not,  depends on our biblical orientations that's why churches and pastors are distinct towards certain issues like this one. Some will believe that the president is erring against our faith, but the other appreciate it. This is what is happening now in the Philippine church at large. Very frustrating :(

Jessica Mathews

My biblical standpoint is Romans 13:1-7.  However, it helps to have some extrabiblical knowledge in order to put things into perspective.  At the time that St. Paul wrote his letter to the Romans, the emperor was Nero.  Whereas his predecessor Claudius had merely chosen to expel the Jews from Rome due to their constant disturbances, some of whom were probably converts to Christianity like SS. Aquila and Priscilla, Nero began openly persecuting them.  He had them burned alive.  It is also interesting to note that most of St. Paul's beatings and imprisonments were due to the Jewish religious leaders and not the Roman government, although he did ultimately stand trial in Rome (which was his "right") after revealing that he was a Roman citizen, and nowhere does he whine about his human rights being violated.  On the contrary, he accepted his suffering and was prepared to die for the Truth.

Jessica Mathews

"Whereas his predecessor Claudius had merely chosen to expel the Jews from Rome due to their constant disturbances, some of whom were probably converts to Christianity like SS. Aquila and Priscilla, Nero began openly persecuting them."

Just to clarify, "them" refers to Christians and not Jews.
Cris Banawe Magno Jr.

Correct, unless otherwise, the govt is trying to annihilate the church then we need to run away or be burned alive for the sake of Christ. We submit to the government's leaders, pray for their sins, from their stupidity, coz we love them as neighboors or as enemies, Matthew 5.44,  and so we abhor their sins, not them, not the sinners. But i think , another gist of the discussion is how does the church respond to social responsibility? Do we need to participate to overthrow the government just like zealots of Jerusalem or the maccabees or judas of Galilee now Leftist. Are we going to die like them or die with Christ who was crucified?